Kids' Recipe: Lettuce Boats
Can you make a boat out of lettuce? Yes! You can make lettuce boats in the kitchen. Lettuce boats are fun to eat. You can fill a lettuce boat with vegetables. Vegetables have lots of vitamins that are good for your body.
Ask a grown-up for help to make your lettuce boats.
What You Need
- Large romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 tomato
- 1 cucumber
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 avocado
- Shredded carrots
- Shredded low-fat cheese
How to Make Lettuce Boats
1) Wash your hands.
2) Wash and dry the lettuce, tomato, cucumber, and red pepper.
3) Open the bags of shredded carrots and shredded cheese.
Get the vegetables ready. You will need help from a grown-up to cut vegetables.
4) Cut the tomato, cucumber, and red pepper into small pieces.
5) Cut the avocado open and remove the pit. Scoop out the insides into the bowl.
6) Mash up the avocado with the spoon.
Build your lettuce boat.
7) Use the spoon to spread some avocado on a lettuce leaf.
8) Sprinkle carrots on the avocado.
9) Sprinkle tomatoes, cucumber, and red pepper over the carrots.
10) Sprinkle cheese over the vegetables.
11) Fold the sides of the lettuce over the vegetables and cheese. Ask an adult to help you.
Now your lettuce boat is ready to eat! Good job!
Why Lettuce Boats Are Healthy for You
- Vegetables have lots of vitamins and minerals that help your eyes.
- Avocado has healthy fat in it. Healthy fats help make vitamins work better.
- Cheese has protein that helps your body grow big and strong.
This easy salad recipe is a good way to introduce kids to vegetables and make veggies fun. Allow your child to do simple tasks like washing the vegetables and mashing the avocado. Let them build their own lettuce boat with veggies you have finely diced for small mouths. Children are more likely to eat something that they have helped to make.