Make Moody Puppets
Puppets are fun! You can make your own puppets. You can play with your puppets to tell a story. You can have a puppet show!
What if your puppets told stories about feelings? Your puppets would be moody puppets! Moody puppets tell stories about how you feel. You can play with moody puppets to tell a story about being sad. You can play with moody puppets to tell a story about being happy. You can play with moody puppets to tell a story about being mad.
Do you want to have a puppet show? Let's play moody puppets!
What You Need to Make Moody Puppets
- 3 paper plates
- Crayons, markers, or colored pencils
- 3 craft sticks
How to Play Moody Puppets
Make your moody puppets.
1) Ask for 3 paper plates to draw on.
2) Draw a face on each plate. Make each face a different mood. Draw how you feel when you are happy, sad, and mad. Here is how you might draw your faces.
- Happy face: A big smile
- Sad face: A big frown and crying
- Mad face: Red cheeks and a yelling mouth
3) Put handles on your faces to make puppets. Tape a craft stick to the back of each plate on the bottom. If you need help, ask an adult to tape the sticks to the plates.
4) To make your story more fun, give your moody puppets names.
Have a puppet show!
Ask a grown-up to play with you. Use your moody puppets to tell a story. Have the puppets talk about their feelings.
Have the sad puppet tell why it is sad.
- What happened to make the sad puppet feel sad?
- What did the sad puppet do?
- Did that make the sad puppet feel better?
- What else can the sad puppet do to feel better?
- Help the sad puppet feel better. Have the sad puppet talk to the happy puppet.
- How can the happy puppet help the sad puppet feel better?
Have the mad puppet tell why it is mad.
- What happened to make the mad puppet feel mad?
- What did the mad puppet do?
- Did that make the mad puppet feel better?
- What else can the mad puppet do to feel better?
- Help the mad puppet feel better. Have the mad puppet talk to the happy puppet.
- How can the happy puppet help the mad puppet feel better?
Just like your puppets, you can talk about your feelings. Talk about your feelings when you are sad or mad to help you feel happy again.
This activity is appropriate for kids ages 3 to 5. If you don't have or would prefer not to use crafts sticks as handles for your puppets, you can tape or glue a plate face to the side of a lunch-sized paper bag. Then your child can put his hand inside the bag to play with the puppet. Older children might enjoy making more elaborate puppets by gluing or taping yarn or curled ribbon to the plates for hair and pieces of cut fabric or felt for bows and ties.