The "I Can't Fall Asleep" Game
In this article
Your body needs lots of sleep every night. Here are some ways sleep keeps you healthy.
- Sleep helps your body grow strong.
- Sleep gives you energy to play and have fun.
- Sleep helps you feel happy.
Sometimes you can't fall asleep when it's time for bed. What can you do to get sleepy? When you rest your body, your brain rests, too. Then you are ready to sleep.
How can you tell your body it is time to rest? You can learn how to relax your muscles. Relaxing your muscles can help you feel sleepy. Play the "I Can't Fall Asleep" game to relax your body when you are ready for bed.
How to Play "I Can't Fall Asleep"
1) Lie down on your bed. Pretend it is time to go to sleep.
2) Get ready to relax your muscles from your head to your toes.
First, relax your face.
3) Close your eyes really tight.
4) Scrunch up your face and count to 10.
5) Let your face go back to normal.
Next, relax your hands.
6) Make 2 fists.
7) Squeeze your fingers tight and count to 10.
8) Open your hands.
Now, relax your feet.
9) Start with your toes pointing at the ceiling. Count to 10.
10) Now make your toes point to the bed, like your foot and your leg are making a straight line. Keep pointing and count to 10.
11) Let your toes come up again.
Finally, relax your toes.
12) Squeeze your toes tight together. Curl your toes, like you are trying to touch the bottom of your foot.
13) Keep squeezing your toes and count to 10.
14) Now uncurl your toes.
You can relax each part of your body. Relaxing your body helps you fall asleep. Sleep is important to keep your body healthy and strong.
When you are ready for bed, you can play the "I Can't Fall Asleep" game to relax your body.
This activity is appropriate for kids ages 5 to 7. You can help your child get ready for bed using this progressive muscle relaxation technique. Have her tighten a muscle, hold it, and then release it.
Talk your child through resting each body part from head to toe (or vice versa).
- Hands and fingers
- Ankles (by pointing toes)