Chef Lizzie: Salmon Turtles
In this article
Want to make a fun and tasty dinner? Here’s Chef Lizzie's Salmon Turtles recipe. This salmon recipe is extra healthy because the fish is steamed. You steam it in foil pouches that you bake in the oven.
For a side dish, instead of mashed potatoes, try mashed cauliflower. Chef Lizzie has her recipe for that here, too! These recipes make enough food for four people.
Remember, safety first! Always get your parent's permission and help if you're going to use the oven, stove, kitchen appliances like a blender, or knives.
4 6-ounce salmon fillets
4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 tablespoon dried rosemary
8 lemon slices (about 2 lemons)
1/4 cup lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
Few pinches salt and black pepper (Chef Lizzie likes to use sea salt and fresh, cracked black pepper.)
4 pieces aluminum foil (large enough to fold over and wrap each fillet so there are no openings)
- Preheat oven 400 degrees.
- Rinse fish with water and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Brush both sides of fish with olive oil and place it skin side down onto foil. (Place each piece of fish on its own piece of foil.) Fold up foil edges slightly so liquids do not spill out.
- Season with salt, pepper, and rosemary. Place 2 lemon slices and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice on top of each fillet.
- Wrap up fillets tightly in foil, sealing them in.
Chef Lizzie says: Remember to put on your oven mitts before putting anything in or taking anything out of the oven.
Place foil turtles in a shallow cooking pan and bake for 12 minutes.
Let cool to touch. Unwrap turtles and place fish on plates.
1 cauliflower head
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
Salt and black pepper, to taste (Chef Lizzie likes to use sea salt and cracked black pepper.)
4 small pats of butter, optional
- Rinse the cauliflower.
- Get your parent's permission or help to cut it in 4 pieces and remove any large pieces of stem.
- In a medium pot, put in cauliflower and 3-1/2 cups of broth. Save the other 1/2 cup -- you'll need it for later in recipe. If broth does not cover cauliflower in the pot, add water until it is covered. Add a couple of pinches of salt.