Understanding the FIT Platform for Teens
Being fit isn't about being thin or strong. See how to get fit by focusing on 4 things.
When you talk with your friends about being fit what does fitness look like to you? Does it mean being able to do 50 sit-ups? Eating salad for lunch? Being thin like a supermodel?
Many teens think that diet and exercise are the two most important things that make a person fit. But fitness can be defined in a bigger way. Most experts define fitness as a balance between mind, body, and spirit.
Being fit also means taking care of your emotional health. That way, you can deal with life's challenges without as much stress. Being fit means getting enough rest so you can recharge your body. True fitness helps you live to your full potential. It can help you achieve your dreams and desires.
Most teens want to live a full life. The real trick is understanding how to make time for being fit in today's hectic world. That's where the FIT Platform comes in.
4 Areas of a FIT Life
The FIT Platform is a concept that breaks fitness down into four areas of life. These areas are FOOD, MOVE, RECHARGE, and MOOD.
- FOOD = Healthy eating
- MOVE = Regular physical activity
- RECHARGE = Stress reduction and plenty of sleep
- MOOD = Emotional well-being
Each FIT Area Is Affected by the Others
Each area of the FIT Platform has a direct effect on your health. Each area also affects the other areas in the FIT Platform. Here's how these areas intersect.
- Eating a variety of healthy FOOD gives us energy to MOVE.
- Balancing the FOOD we eat with how we MOVE our body helps us stay at a healthy weight.
- When we get enough sleep and RECHARGE our bodies, it helps us manage our MOOD.
- Taking care of our emotional health helps us make healthier FOOD choices. It also helps us get plenty of sleep to RECHARGE our bodies.
- When we MOVE our bodies every day, we sleep better. This helps us RECHARGE.
- When we RECHARGE our bodies with rest and sleep, it's easier to choose healthy FOOD and MOVE more.
When you have strong skills in all four areas, you can achieve good health and get the most out of life.
Unfortunately, we often take our daily needs for granted. Most teens understand that they're important. But they don't always make time for them every day. And when you are weak in any one of the four elements of fitness, you are more at risk for health problems.
To learn how to develop strong skills in all four areas of the FIT Platform, read The FIT Connection for Teens.