Chef Lizzie: Green Eggs and Ham
In this article
Remember Dr. Seuss and green eggs and ham? Try Chef Lizzie's special Green Eggs & Ham recipe from her FIT Kitchen. You can make it for a colorful, tasty, and healthy kids' breakfast.
Remember to always get your parents’ permission and help when it comes to using the stove or knives. This recipe makes enough food for 1 person.
Green Eggs & Ham
1 thin slice of ham (Chef Lizzie likes to use prosciutto. You could even use cooked turkey or veggie bacon.)
1 teaspoon pesto (Allergy Warning: Pesto usually has pine nuts in it.)
1/2 tablespoon olive oil (or unsalted butter)
Pinch grated parmesan cheese (Chef Lizzie likes to use freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.)
- Crack the eggs into a mixing bowl.
- Add the pesto to the eggs.
- Use a fork to scramble the eggs and pesto together.
- Tear the ham into bite-sized pieces.
Chef Lizzie says: Be careful when working around a hot stove. Always ask your parent for permission and help.
- Turn the stove burner on medium and heat the pan. Put the olive oil (or butter) in the pan.
- Pour the egg mixture into pan. Add the ham pieces.
- Slowly move eggs in a push/pull motion with a spatula until cooked. You'll know they are ready when the eggs don't look wet anymore. It's important to keep the eggs moving so they don't burn. Cooking should take about 3 or 4 minutes.
Put the eggs on a plate. Sprinkle a pinch of cheese on top.
Serve with a small fruit salad topped with a drizzle of honey or agave nectar. Then sprinkle on sesame seeds or chopped walnuts for some crunch. Or serve with whole-grain toast topped with 100% all-fruit preserves (no added sugar). Enjoy!
WebMD Medical Reference